20 YEARS AGO
The single-family home at 1307 Petronia St. sold for a reported $110,000.
The federal fishery council held a meeting in Key West to discuss the possibility of creating fishery reserves where fishing would be prohibited.
Benches had replaced billboards in the city for advertisements of businesses. There were more than 50 benches throughout the city.
50 YEARS AGO
The Navy announced that the submarine tender USS Bushnell would leave for Charleston in July for a shipyard overhaul that would last until March 1963.
Clark Burton, president of the Key Colony Beach Chamber of Commerce, resigned and was replaced by Chester Sadowski, first vice president.
Col. Ralph Rogers of Key West was re-elected chaplain of the National Sojourners at the annual convention in Baltimore.
100 YEARS AGO
The schooner E.W. Tunnell, which was owned by Capt. J. Bordem and Dr. J.V. Harris, arrived from Baltimore with a cargo of sand.