ON THIS DAY IN:
1832 In the previous year, 290 ships entered the port of Key West; 172 of these ships arrived from foreign ports and 118 of them arrived from American ports.
1923 Key West had the following churches: five Methodist, a Methodist mission, two Baptist, a Catholic, three Episcopal, a Congregational, a Christian, a Church of the United Brethren, AME Zion and a Jewish synagogue.
1926 Work began on building North and South Roosevelt boulevards.
1928President Calvin and Mrs. Coolidge returned from the sixth Inter-American Conference held in Havana on the cruiser Memphis. Mayor Leslie A. Curry gave them a tour of the Naval Station, Army Barracks, Meacham Airport and concluded with a ride along Ocean Boulevard (today North and South Roosevelt boulevards).
1933 With the exception of New York, there were more passenger arrivals in Key West than any other port in the United States. The number of arrivals for 1932 was 18,051.
1961 The United States banned all tourist travel to Cuba. The loss of the air and ship traffic to Cuba had an adverse impact on the Key West economy.
1998 Monroe County Commissioner Wilhelmina Harvey was chosen as Citizen of the Year in a vote conducted by The Key West Citizen.
2002 The Gato Building at 1100 Simonton St. was dedicated for use as Monroe County offices.