ON THIS DAY IN:
1836 During 1835, a total of 17 vessels were adjudicated in the Admiralty Court in Key West, and salvage fees of $88,435.18 were awarded to the wreckers.
1912 The first excursion train left Key West for Long Key. One hundred and twenty-three passengers made the trip, which returned after a short stay. The round-trip fare was $2.60.
1929 President-elect Herbert Hoover was fishing for sailfish off Key Largo.
1953 Gulf Oil Corp. scientific researchers were testing for oil in a 400 square-mile area ranging from Sand Key, seven miles southwest of Key West, to Marco, Fla.
1953 The City Commission took steps to the end the "B-Girl" problem when it passed an ordinance making it unlawful for anyone to solicit the sale of drinks in the city bars.
1977 The new United States Coast Guard Station at Trumbo Point was dedicated.
1986 Lt. Col. Harold Hinson, Salvation Army Florida divisional commander, dedicated the new Salvation Army building on Flagler Avenue.
1991Eliza (Skippy Doodle) Gardner, Key West native and retired schoolteacher, celebrated her 100th birthday.