Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Mile Markers

florida keys

Marathon shooter sentencing continued

A Utah man who was shot in a 2009 standoff with federal agents at a mobile home in Marathon will be resentenced in April, a federal judge ordered on Monday.

U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore continued Larkin Baggett's sentencing for 10 a.m. April 8 at the Sidney M. Aronovitz federal courthouse on Simonton Street in Key West, according to court documents.

Moore previously sentenced Baggett to 20 years in prison in January 2012, but in March, the 11th District Court of Appeals vacated Baggett's sentence on a legal technicality while at the same time affirming his conviction.

In March 2009, three Environmental Protection Agency agents and a Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputy went to Baggett's 11th Street trailer to arrest him for not appearing in a Utah court on of charges of illegally treating and disposing of hazardous waste.

Baggett appeared in the doorway with an assault rifle and was subsequently shot multiple times by local and federal officers. He was airlifted to Miami after the shooting and survived.


Veterinarian gets probation for pain pills

An Upper Keys veterinarian convicted of acquiring nearly 1,000 painkillers through fraudulent prescriptions will spend the next two years on probation and undergo drug treatment for a year.

On Monday, U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore sentenced Thomas Harrell Fish Jr. to also pay $100 in court costs, but spared him prison.

"Judge Moore was incredibly fair and reasonable," said defense attorney Brian Tannebaum.

Fish pleaded guilty on Oct. 19 to acquiring hydrocodone by misrepresentation, fraud, forgery and subterfuge as part of a plea agreement with the government in which he admitted to fraudulently obtaining 992 such pills between Feb. 2, 2011, and May 15, 2011, according to court documents.

Part of that plea agreement calls for Fish to give up his Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Certificate of Registration that allows him to prescribe painkillers.

Fish faced a maximum punishment of four years in prison followed by a year of supervised release and a maximum fine of $250,000.