ON THIS DAY IN:
1917 The first long-distance telephone connection was made to Miami at 1:47 p.m. Later in the day the connection was extended to Savannah, Ga.
1935Maxwell Perkins, editor for Scribners magazine, Earl Roman, Rod and Reel editor for the Miami Herald and Ernest Hemingway were fishing in Hemingway's boat when all three men caught a sailfish.
1955 County Commissioner Joe Allen announced that the county would spend $25,000 to build a beach at West Martello Tower. The plan called for the old fort to be circled by a seawall, which was filled with marl and covered with sand.
1962 The first Honorary Conch Certificate was presented by Monroe County Mayor Gerald Saunders to Rear Admiral R.Y. McElroy, Commander of Naval Base Key West.
1963 Assistant Secretary of the Navy James Wakelis Jr. was the speaker for the dedication of renovated Mallory Square. The restoration of Mallory Square was sponsored by Old Island Restoration Foundation.
1970 Congressman Dante Fascell was the speaker at the dedication of the new Islamorada Post Office.
1981Henry C. Singleton announced he had sold his company to ConAgra. The sale included Singleton Enterprises, Singleton Shrimp and Singleton Ice Co., all of Key West.
1988 The City Commission approved an ordinance that would virtually end construction of new hotel rooms.