ON THIS DAY IN:
1821 The United States Senate ratified the treaty with Spain and Florida became a U.S. territory.
1895 There were 119 vessels engaged in sponge fishing. Each vessel carried four to five skiffs that were fished by a two-man crew. The vessels made two-month trips three to four times a year. If the weather and water conditions were satisfactory, a sponger could make a good living.
1906 Stock Island and Key West were joined for the first time by the new 12-foot roadway built for the Florida East Coast Railroad.
1917 Polk's Key West city directory for 1917-1918 listed 80 grocery stores in the city.
1925 Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover and Mrs. Hoover, Attorney General Stone and Mrs. Stone plus Mark Sullivan, writer with Collier's Weekly, and Mrs. Sullivan arrived on the yacht Kilkenny and registered as guests of the Hotel Casa Marina.
1946 Boy Scouts of Troops 50, 51 and 52 left for three-day camping trip to the old CCC Camp on West Summerland Key. This was the first time the Scouts used the West Summerland Key site.
1949 Work of rebuilding and redecorating of the Little White House used by President Truman was completed. The work cost about $60,000.
1953 Former Navy Commander Lee H. Goddard was named acting postmaster of Key West to replace Hollon Bervaldi, who retired after a 39-year career with the post office.
1971 The Key West Tree Commission was created by the City Commission.