ON THIS DAY IN:
1852 Right Rev. Bishop Francis X. Gartland dedicated St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church on Duval Street. The first sermon was preached by Father Hunineq, a Belgian priest.
1917 The Polk's Key West directory for 1917-18 listed 18 coffee shops in the city.
1953 The Goodyear Supply Store was being built on the corner of Duval and Petronia streets by Larry Dion. He opened the store in April.
1960 Teamster Union President Jimmy Hoffa was in Key West inspecting property that had been offered as security for a business loan from the union.
1962 Astronaut John Glenn and his family left Key West to join President Kennedy in Palm Beach. Glenn and his family spent a secluded weekend at the Key West Naval Base after he returned as the first American to make orbital flight on Feb. 20.
1977 The new Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses at 1117 White St. was dedicated.
1994 The Sheriff's Department moved jail inmates from the old county jail on Fleming Street to the new facility on Stock Island. The move ended the forced prisoner releases caused by overcrowding in the old jail.