ON THIS DAY IN:
1911 The Key West Police headquarters was located at City Hall on Greene Street. The chief of police was W.J. Gardner and the sergeant was C.F. Albury. Patrolmen were John Pent, Edward Albury, J.J. Kirschenbaurn, R.T. Hicks, James Hopkins, J.E. Thompson, J.N. Bissell, W.A. Fagan, John Cash, C. Elwood and Leroy Shehee.
1924Alfred Atchison, age 64, died in his home on Olivia Street. Atchison was known by the nickname "Bubba Smart" and was the last man to be called the "King of the Wreckers."
1929 The Overseas Highway from the Dade County line to Key West was taken over by the state road department for maintenance. The county had maintained the road built with Monroe County bonds.
1960 The Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools approved Douglass School for accreditation.
1969 The National Society of the United States Daughters of 1812 placed markers on the graves of two veterans of the War of 1812 buried in the Key West Cemetery. The markers were placed on the graves of Thomas Romer who was born in Nassau, Bahamas in 1783, and died in Key West on Sept. 8, 1891, and Alexander Patterson who was born in Stonington, Conn. on Aug. 31, 1791, and died in Key West on May 18, 1870.