ON THIS DAY IN:
1927 Dr. J.Y. Porter died at his home. He was born in Key West on Oct. 21, 1847, and received his medical training at Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He was Florida's first state health officer and served in that capacity from 1887 to 1917. He was an expert in the treatment and control of yellow fever.
1950 President Harry Truman arrived for a three-week vacation at the Little White House.
1955 Gulf Oil Co. announced that it would drill a test oil well northwest of Marathon.
1973 The USS Howard W. Gilmore departed the Naval Station for her new home of port La Madeleine, Sardinia. The Gilmore, a submarine tender, was the largest Navy ship to be stationed in Key West.
1976 The Historic Key West Preservation Board agreed to sign a lease with the San Carlos Institute, thus putting the protective designation of "historic building" on the San Carlos.
1976 Windsor Village Condominiums had attracted a number of famous writers. Among those who bought homes in the compound were Mr. and Mrs.Richard Wilbur, Mr. and Mrs. John Hersey, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Ellison and Mr. and Mrs. John Ciardi.
1986 Key West Harbor Development, the company the city had chosen to finance and redevelop Truman Annex, withdrew from its agreement. The company claimed that action by the Key West City Commission had breached its contract with the redevelopment agency.
1996 Members of the Florida Cabinet toured Monroe County to get a firsthand look at its complexities, quirks and threatened beauty. The fact-finding trips were low-profile and were made alone or in small groups.
1996 Key West City Commission approved the AIDS memorial plaza, to be built at the entrance to the White Street Pier.