Google+
Wednesday, April 3, 2013

ON THIS DAY IN:

1823 Commodore David Porter arrived and established the Naval Station Key West.

1823 Joel Yancy, Key West's first collector of customs, arrived with Commodore Porter and established the Custom Service office in Key West.

1898 Gov. William D. Bloxham ordered Capt. F.C. Brossier to put the Key West Guard on a war footing.

1904 Jake Aronovitz died at the age of 80. He had come to Key West in 1890 and operated Joe's Trading Palace on Duval Street until he retired. He was a charter member of B'nai Zion congregation.

1905 The plantation on Matecumbe Key, owned by Cephas Pinder and consisting of 216 acres and approximately 5,000 fruit trees, was sold to Jose Piodela and Joaquin Leon. They planned to lay out a city that would be divided into 1,172 lots.

1943 The U.S. merchant ship Gulf State was sunk by a German U-boat 155 about 20 miles southeast of the Middle Keys.

1955 Southern Bell Telephone Co. installed new dial equipment that gave all 8,700 phones in Key West new numbers. The old prefix number of 2 was dropped and all numbers used the new prefixes of CY 4 or CY 6.

1966 The new chapel for the First Baptist Church's mission on Big Coppitt was dedicated.

1979 Directors of the Southernmost Chamber of Commerce elected Jack Smith their first president. The Southernmost Chamber had been formed by a group of dissident members from the Greater Key West Chamber earlier in the year.