ON THIS DAY IN:
1893 The Key West Guard, Company A of the 5th Battalion, drilled at the Armory in the Monroe County Court House. The officers were: F.C. Brossier, Captain; M.W. Curry, 1st Lieutenant and H.L. Roberts, 2nd Lieutenant.
1952 The first families moved into the new 1,000 unit military housing projects at Sigsbee Park and Peary Court.
1985 Angelo Donghia, one of the world's most influential interior designers and former resident of Key West died in New York at the age of 50.
1985 Mayor Richard Heyman led the ground-breaking ceremonies for the new 158-room Key West Hampton Inn on North Roosevelt Boulevard.
1995 Retired Key West Postmaster Edward R. Hart died at his home in Key West.
1997 Monroe County Commissioners voted unanimously to rename the new county government building on Truman Avenue The Harvey Government Center at the Historic Truman School. The new name honored the late C.B. Harvey, former mayor of Key West, and his wife Wilhelmina, at the time serving as a county commissioner and who had been the first woman mayor of Monroe County.