ON THIS DAY IN:
1914 Richard Peacon's grocery store on Fleming Street had a full line of fancy and staple groceries, tin and granite ware and crockery. He carried the famous Royal Scarlet, Sunbeam and Crosse & Blackwell canned goods and preserves.
1951 A Navy PBM crashed near Dredger's Key (Sigsbee Park) upon taking off from the seaplane base, killing eight of the nine-man crew.
1963 Capt. Charles D. Fonvielle relieved Capt. Lemuel M. StevensII as commanding officer of Naval Air Station Key West.
1984 A federal grand jury indicted a total of 22 people who were charged with a variety of offenses in connection with a cocaine trafficking ring and protection network. Included in the group were the Key West deputy chief of police and two detectives.
1973 Destroyer Squadron 18 and Submarine Squadron 12 were decommissioned in a joint ceremony at Naval Station Key West. This ended Key West Naval Station's use as an active base for submarines and destroyers, which had begun before World War II.
1995 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the parking garage at the corner of Caroline and Grinnell streets.
1995 The Navy held an official ribbon-cutting for the Peary Court housing project. The site had been leased to the city for years, which created a groundswell movement to prevent the housing project.