ON THIS DAY IN:
1842 The United States signed a contract to build a Marine Hospital at Key West. The hospital was to treat Merchant Marine sailors. The Marine Hospital Service would become the U.S. Public Health Service
1907 Father A.B. Friend, pastor of St. Mary Star of the Sea, celebrated the 25th anniversary of his ordination.
1931 Algernon Blair Co. of Montgomery, Ala., began work on the new Federal Building on Simonton Street at the corner of Caroline Street.
1934 The Nelson English Park at the corner of Thomas and Louisa streets was dedicated for Nelson English, an African-American man who worked for the post office for more than 20 years and was postmaster from 1882 to 1886. The main speaker was Samuel J. Welters.
1945 Harold Colee, executive vice president of the Florida State Chamber of Commerce, presented a centennial plaque to William Curry Sons. William Curry Sons, founded in 1843, was one of only three businesses in the state that had been in continuous operation for more than 100 years.
1952 The city of Key West announced that the Gulf Atlantic Transportation Co. had accepted the city's $150,000 offer for the purchase of the Mallory Docks, which would provide adequate docking space for the proposed Havana-Key West Ferry.
1963 Royal Castle opened its first Key West restaurant at North Roosevelt Boulevard and Fifth Street.
1984 The freighter Wellwood was pulled off Molasses Reef after 12 days of work. The reef was damaged by the grounding and efforts to pull the ship free.