ON THIS DAY IN:
1856 The clipper ship Stephen R. Mallory was launched. The ship, 164 feet and 959 tons, was the only clipper ship built in the Deep South with native labor. The shipbuilder was John Bartlum, who used native mahogany known as Madeira. The firm of Bowne and Curry owned the ship.
1906 The commandant of the Naval Station was Capt. W.H. Bechler. The other officials were: F.R. Maloney, chief clerk; Benjamin D. McGee, assistant paymaster; H.H. Koppang, paymaster's clerk; P.J. McMahon, in charge of U.S. machine shop; Shirley C. Bott, clerk machine shop; F.C. Brown, in charge of yards and docks; and Alvin L. Davis, clerk yards and docks.
1909 Surgeon E.K. Sprauge relieved surgeon Charles E. Hanks in command of the Marine Hospital Key West.
1933 The wife of deposed Cuban President Machado arrived in Key West on the gunboat yacht Juan Bruno Zayas. She was accompanied by her three daughters, three sons-in-law and four grandchildren.
1936 The 265th Regiment Coastal Artillery Florida National Guard arrived on the steamship Florida from Tampa for its two-week training encampment at Fort Taylor.
1964 Dr. Wheelock A. Bison, a Key West native, was presented the Florida A&M Meritorious Achievement Award. Dr. Bison was a prominent Memphis physician and surgeon.
1981 Tropical Storm Dennis stalled over South Florida, dumping 3.88 inches of rain on Key West.
1987 Scenes for the television miniseries on the life of Ernest Hemingway were being filmed at the Hemingway House, Land Ends Mariner and on the water off Key West.