on this day in:
1861Robert Watson left Key West on the schooner Lady Bannerman for the Bahamas, from where he would go to Tampa to fight for the Southern cause and record it in his "Confederate War Diary."
1876 St. James Missionary Baptist Church was founded by the Rev. McIntosh and a few black people who settled in Key West from other areas of the South.
1931 Fire Chief Ralph Pinder resigned and was replaced by Harry Baker. Pinder resigned over the friction caused by the firemen not getting paid. He urged them to remain on the job until the city could work out its financial difficulties.
1944 Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph finished distribution of 2,993 copies of the new phone directory. The number of directories was restricted because of the wartime shortage of paper.
1945 The population from the 1945 Florida State Census for Monroe County was 18,718, of which 17,774 lived in Key West.
1945 Radio station WKWF, owned by John Spottswood, began its first broadcast, giving hurricane warnings every 15 minutes with Mr. Spottswood as the announcer.
1975 Abraham E. Golan died while on vacation in Italy. In 1949, Golan, Vincent Conley and Charles Helberg bought most of the eastern end of Key West. He had built the Key Ambassador Motel on South Roosevelt and the Ramada Inn on North Roosevelt.
1976 County Commissioner Harry Harris, who lost his bid for re-election, submitted his resignation to the governor. Harris was first elected to the commission in 1942.
1988 Little Palm Island luxury resort off Little Torch Key opened for business.