on this day in:
1901 St. Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church on Duval Street was destroyed by fire. The old church had survived the Great Fire of 1886. A large portion of the church valuables were saved. The fire main system was undergoing repairs and the lack of water hampered the firemen.
1931 Capt. Eddie Sanders of the shark fishing boat Holland brought in 36 sharks for the Ocean Leather Co. The catch, made with a 300-foot net, was mostly nurse sharks. The day before, Sanders had brought in 26 sharks. The shark's skin was used for leather, the livers were for codfish oil and the fins sold for shark fin soup.
1955 Charley Toppino and Sons bought a 30-acre tract of land that would become Riviera Drive, from Sunrise Shores to 11th Street and from Flagler to the new canal. The sales price was reported as $150,000.
1955Mel Levitt called a meeting of the motel owners near South Street to try to prevent a price war. One owner had been advertising rooms for $2 per person, double occupancy.
1968John N. Thompson, president of Thompson Enterprises, announced the sale of the company's shrimp fleet, property and buildings on Caroline Street to Sea Farms Inc.