on this day in:
1906 John Lowe Jr. had wholesale and retail lumber, groceries, ship chandlery and marine railway at the corner of Greene and Elizabeth streets.
1911 Norberg Thompson opened the Key West Box Factory for the manufacture of boxes for the cigar industry of Key West. The factory was capable of producing 7,000 boxes a day from wood imported from Cuba.
1933 The new lighthouse on Tennessee Reef was lit for the first time. The new light was 40 feet above mean high water and could be seen for 15 miles.
1933 The Army denied published reports that it intended to abandon Fort Taylor and the Key West Barracks.
1936 The Interstate Commerce Commission approved a request by the Florida East Coast Railroad to abandon the Overseas Railroad. This action cleared the way to build a highway over the old bridges.
1937 Capt. Philip Cosgrove retired after 47 years with the Lighthouse Service. He was master of the Lighthouse tender Ivy at the time of his retirement.