on this day in:
1770 The HMS Carysford wrecked on the Florida Reef off Key Largo and gave its name to the reef, which was changed to Carysfort.
1899 The cornerstone of the Gulf of Mexico Wesleyan Methodist New Church on Simonton Street was laid. Pastor J. A. Brindley, Mayor Bartlum and James E. Sands each laid a stone on behalf of the leaders and officers of the church and one stone was laid by Alonzo Kelly, the superintendent of the Sunday school. Reverend Dr. Fulwood made the address and Earnest P. Roberts added a few timely remarks.
1962 The military build-up in Key West continued in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis.
1968 Mayor Kermit Lewin cut the ribbon to open the new Firestone facilities on White Street.
1986 The Monroe County Commission hired retired Navy Capt. Tom Brown, former commanding officer Naval Air Station Key West, to replace retiring Monroe County Administrator Kermit Lewin.
1999 The new central fire station on North Roosevelt was dedicated and named for the late Fire Chief Richard "Dickie" Wardlow.