on this day in:
1892 Key West celebrated the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America by Columbus with special programs in all the schools.
1899 Miss Carrie Watson returned to Matacumbe Key to take charge of the school there for her third term at the school.
1908 Dr. J.B. Maloney opened the Louise Maloney Hospital on Fleming Street next to the Key West Drug Company. This was the first civilian hospital on the island.
1923 William A. and Copeland C. Johnson were proprietors of the Overseas Hotel at 917 Fleming Street.
1951 Monroe County had 5,000 rooms in motels, hotels, rooming houses and apartments according to a report from the Florida Hotel and Restaurant Commission. The county also had 193 restaurants with 8,291 seats.
1962 The Today TV showed that Key Westers are remaining calm in spite of the military build up and threat from the Cuban Missile Crisis.
1991 The Kmart store in Key Plazas opened.