on this day in:
1899The cigarmakers formed a union composed of both Americans and Cubans. Even though the Cubans were in the majority, there were two sets of officers and they alternated being in charge of the weekly meetings. To avoid strikes, a committee of one Cuban and one American in each factory was chosen to report complaints whenever they were made. They reported to the general committee, which decided and their decision was final.
1900 The people of Key West raised more than $1,200 for victims of the Galveston, Texas hurricane. The disbanded cigarmaker's union voted to give the $375.75 remaining in the treasure to the cause.
1923 The Pierce Brothers Hardware Co. was at the corner of Fleming and Elizabeth streets. They carried building materials, tools, sporting goods, bicycles and automobile accessories.
1923 Ralph B. Pinder was Key West's fire chief with headquarters at City Hall on Greene Street. Captain W.H. Turner was in charge of Station 3 at the corner of Grinnell and Virginia streets.
1946Fred J. Dion resigned as city tax assessor and recommended to the city manager that the office be merged with the county office.
1950 A Key West Public Library Association was formed when representatives of civic organizations met at the courthouse to formulate plans for an adequate public library.
1954 Hal Wallis and Danny Mann, producer and director of the movie based on Tennessee Williams' play "The Rose Tattoo" were at the Casa Marina Hotel screening locals for parts in the movie.
1955 Monroe County Mayor Gerald Saunders cut the ribbon on the Stock Island Speedway and joined the more than 650 spectators watching the first races with 17 local drivers and 19 from the Miami area.