Thursday, December 5, 2013

on this day in:

1859 In the city election, Mayor John P. Baldwin was re-elected and James C. Clapp, John Curry, Richard M. Kemp and Henry Mulrennan were elected to the board of aldermen.

1911 The officers of the new Key West Yacht Club were elected. They were J. Vinning Harris, commodore; John Wardlow, vice commodore; Thomas E. Reedy, secretary; and J.N. Fogarty, treasurer.

1940 Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox and his party left Key West after spending the night at the BOQ at the new Naval Air Station on Trumbo Point. He had inspected all the Navy property in Key West and left for Panama.

1953 The first annual Upper Keys Lime Festival got underway on Indian Key Fill with a memorial service honoring the pioneers of the Keys.

1959 The new Seventh Day Adventist Church on Fifth Street at Seidenberg Avenue was dedicated by Don Rees, president of the Southern Union Conference of Seventh Day Adventist.

1968Earl J. "Pete" Toomer of Key West was elected president of the Florida Shrimp Association.

1976 Key West resident Tennessee Williams was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters. The announcement was made by a part-time Key West resident John Hersey.

1976Victor R. Shavers, Key West native, was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel in a ceremony in Washington. Shavers was a graduate of Douglass High School's Class of 1956.

1981 Artist Henry Faulkner, a longtime winter resident of Key West, was killed in a car crash in Lexington, Ky.