on this day in:
1947 President Harry Truman interrupted his Key West vacation to go to Everglades City to dedicate the Everglades National Park. After the ceremony, he returned to Key West and continued his vacation.
1953 Harry Cohen was building a new commercial building on Fleming Street, at the corner of Bahama Street, that would house five stores and 13 offices. The building was ready for occupancy by the end of January.
1960 The Navy announced that the Blue Angels, the world-famed precision flying team, would return in January for their six-week winter training schedule.
1962George Mira, Key West native and University of Miami football star, was selected to The Associated Press All-American Team.
1968Charles H. Morris purchased the Key West Citizen and the Artman Press from Norman D. Artman. Artman remained publisher of the paper under the new owners.