on this day in:
1893 Trinity Presbyterian Church was founded by the Rev. George Lester as the Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church. The ministers for the church came from the Bahamas, but stopped during the Depression. On May 12, 1931, the church changed to Trinity Presbyterian.
1904 The Navy's wireless telegraph was being built on the Naval Station by the DeForest Co.
1940 The Fleet Sonar School was established at the Naval Station. This school would play an important part in training sonar operators to man the ships that defeated the German U-boats in World War II. After the war, the school would train thousands of U.S. and allied navies' students until the early 1970s. The school would also be visited by the senior U.S. and foreign military officers.
1969 In a ceremony at the Naval Air Station Key West, Lt. Col. Eugene Flanagan relieved Lt. Col. William Badaker as commanding officer of the Army's 6th Battalion (HAWK), 65th Artillery.
1976 First Federal Saving and Loan Association of the Florida Keys broke ground for its new $1.65 million headquarters building on Kennedy Drive.
1983 The intersection of Front and Simonton streets flooded when an inch of rain fell in less than 15 minutes. A similar rainfall had occurred on Dec. 9, leaving 2 inches of water in Two Friends Bar. So far for the month, the total rain was 3.44 inches, double the normal amount.