on this day in:
1875 Episcopal Bishop John Freeman Young called a meeting to organize St. Peter's Church, and the Rev. J.L. Steele was appointed the first rector.
1888 The contract for the Custom House, to be at the end of Whitehead Street, was awarded. The structure was completed at a cost of $107,955.96; the construction occupied the latter part of 1891.
1899 The city was rapidly filling with strangers and tourists. The season was expected to be a good one.
1905 George W. Allen was reappointed collector of Customs for the Key West District.
1932Carl Bervaldi resigned as chairman of the board of county commissioners and the board elected Norberg Thompson to fill the unexpired term. Bervaldi continued to serve as commissioner.
1954 Dr. Enrique Rodriguez died at the age of 87. He was born in Havana and studied medicine at the University of Barcelona. He came to Key West in 1903.
1956 National Airlines made its first flight with the 44-passenger Convair using the recently completed 4,800-foot runway and was greeted by city, county and Navy officials. Later, about 30 Key Westers were given a 20-minute flight over the city.
1977 Gov. Reubin Askew named David Kirwan circuit court judge to replace Gabriel Mazzeo, who resigned.
1995 Melvin L. Levitt, age 88 years, died at Lower Keys Hospital. He was credited for starting the American Association of Retired Persons chapter in Monroe County and was a leader in senior citizens' rights in the county and state.