on this day in:
1940 Company E, 265th Field Artillery of the Florida National Guard, was called into active federal service. The 90 Key Westers under the command of Capt. William C. Harris would leave for Texas in January.
1959 Jose Oropeza was the owner of the Square Deal Market, at 829 Simonton St.
1966 The cornerstone of the new Monroe County Justice Building on the corner of Whitehead and Fleming streets was laid by the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Florida.
1966 The first class of the Florida Keys Junior College School of Nursing completed its training. The 11 graduates received their caps in a ceremony at the Presbyterian Church of the Rock.
1983 The Monroe County Commission approved the preliminary construction plans for Garden Cove, the second part of Port Bougainville on Upper Key Largo.
1996 Sandy Archer unveiled the sign that renamed 14th Street Glynn R. Archer Jr. Drive to honor her late husband.