50 Years Ago
• Circuit Judge Lucien C. Proby Jr. dismissed the lawsuit filed by the first wife of the late Joe Sirugo claiming her 1943 divorce was fraudulent.
• Commander J.D. Huggins, commanding officer, U.S. Naval Ordnance Unit, presented checks to Louise M. Taylor and Harold F. Irving for "Outstanding Performance" during the last year.
• Carden M. Astin assumed his new duties as Monroe General Hospital administrator.
• The Florida Cabinet authorized construction of a permanent site for the Army's HAWK missiles on Boca Chica Key and Fleming Key. The missile battalion headquarters was at the Casa Marina Hotel.
• Lawrence P. Bratton was installed as president of the Marathon Kiwanis Club in ceremonies at the Sombrero Yacht and Golf Club.