50 years ago:
Southern Bell Telephone Company moved into its new one-story building near the corner of Simonton and Southard streets. The building housed business offices and the commercial department of the company.
A number of top officials from Sears, Roebuck and Company attended the groundbreaking for the new Sears Town Shopping Center on North Roosevelt.
Key West police conducted a gambling raid at 229 Petronia St. and arrested six men and collected $212 in cash, dice, cards and equipment.
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin F. Trevor purchased the old conch house at 1210 Johnson St. and planned to restore it in keeping with Old Island Restoration ideas.
Airman Second Class Alvin M. Leggett was assigned in the U.S. Air Force Base on Okinawa. He was a graduate of Douglass High School.