50 years ago
• Key West firefighters battled a persistent, hard to reach blaze that destroyed as much as 40 percent of the Cornish Memorial AME Zion Church on Whitehead Street.
• Isador Weintraub, well-known businessman, was named chairman of the local United Jewish Appeal fund-raising drive.
• After a month of study, the Navy's Manpower Validation Team, determined that the thousands of Navy men stationed in the Key West area were doing a good job under difficult conditions.
• Grace Kemp, 79, died at her home at 601 Caroline St. She had been an art teacher for many years.
• Marguerite Gravek was one of eight nurses in Florida selected to attend the Cancer Nursing Institute at the University of Florida.