50 years ago
• The Green Room Pool Hall, Ulysses Bacon manager, was located at 210 Duval St.
• A defeated gubernatorial candidate claimed to have four stolen keys that were used to rig voting machines in the May Democratic primary.
• Declared unsafe and condemned by the city, the historic landmark fire bell and tower in the cemetery were removed.
• In an executive session of the board of trustees, the Florida Keys Elective Cooperative named Joe Bond as president, unseating Eugene Lowe who had held the post for 18 years.
• The new officers of the PTA of the Sue M. Moore School were: Helen Bradley, president; Allen Eubanks, first vice president; Grace Garrison, second vice president; Ruthelle Lewis, secretary and Carl Thrun, treasurer.