50 years ago
The Presbyterian Church of the Rock held a groundbreaking for its new church at 2610 Flagler Ave.
Charles P. Thompson invited four students from May Sands School to check the house at 1400 Seminary St. for ghosts. The ghost experts found the premises free and clear of any ghosts but they did find a lot of scary stuffed animals from Thompson's African safari with Ernest Hemingway.
The Conch-style house at 415 United St. was sold by Dr. and Mrs. L.A. Mosher to Mr. and Mrs. Lillie Treat. The transaction was handled by the Key West office of Keys and Company.
The Key West Country Club decided on a site located in the middle of the golf course for the new clubhouse.