50 years ago:
• The Florida Sheriff's Bureau had begun an investigation of reports that some Key West police officers were involved in a scheme to "fix" drunken driving charges "for a price."
• In a well-planned coup sparked by the president, the board of trustees of the Florida Electric Cooperative elected all new officers to replace the newly elected.
• Sheriff Reace Thompson hosted a gathering for more than 400 Lower Keys residents in a vacant store on Summerland Key.
• Joyce Wade and Heidi Himelberger were chosen to attend Girl State by the Marathon American Legion Auxiliary.
• Long's Furniture, "Key West's Home of Fine Furniture," owned by Mrs. O.S. Long, was located at 800 Fleming St.