50 years ago:
• Workmen were demolishing the mausoleum in the City Cemetery that Karl Tanzler Von Cosel built for Elena Hoyos. Von Cosel later stole the body and lived with it for seven years before he was discovered and the body was buried in an unmarked grave.
• Representatives of the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization and Florida Division of Plant Industry were in Key West to check on the battle against "lethal yellow" blight that was killing palm trees.
• The Arthur Sawyer American Legion Auxiliary chose Nancy Rose Moreno and Maria Key to attend the annual Girls State in Tallahassee.
• The County Commission approved a contract for an architect to repair the jail in Key West and design two branch courthouses in the Keys.
• The Monroe General Hospital board was negotiating a contract for the services of a collection agent.