50 YEARS AGO:
• The board of Monroe General Hospital voted to provide ambulance service as of July 21. The service would only provide sick calls in the city and sick and emergency service from Stock Island to Big Pine Key.
• Work started on the Navy's seven-story bachelor officers' quarters on the Trumbo Annex of the Naval Air Station.
• Bernie C. Papy, the veteran member of the Florida House of Representatives who was reelected in the May primary, was going to New York for treatment of an undisclosed illness.
• For the second time, the Monroe County Commission rejected a resolution committing the county to a share in the building of Islandia, the road project from Key Largo to South Dade.
• The County Commission approved a tentative budget for 1964 to 1965 that had a .9 percent tax increase.