ON THIS DAY IN:
1829 The four owners of the island of Key West, John Simonton, Pardon Greene, John Whitehead and John Fleming, signed an agreement for the division of the land.
1911 The Commercial Club and the Chamber of Commerce held a joint meeting and consolidated into the Chamber of Commerce, and elected Dr. J.B. Maloney president.
1938 The contractor building the road on Bahia Honda found traces of oil in the rocks after blasting to level the roadway.
1956 Stanley Switlik announced plans for an exclusive residential subdivision on Long Key Point.
1967 A Key West-based crawfishing boat and two boats out of Marathon were involved in a gunbattle near the Cay Sal Banks, Bahamas, in which one man was killed and one wounded.
1974 ABC records finished shooting a film special at the Pier House titled "Introducing Jimmy Buffet."
1977 A contract for the Harry S. Truman Animal Import Center on Fleming Key was awarded. The facility took two years to complete and was capable of quarantining 500 head of livestock for a five-month period.
1994Rex Weech, longtime groundskeeper of the Key West High School stadium, died at age 87.
2000 The landmark Howard Johnson Restaurant on North Roosevelt Boulevard was demolished.