ON THIS DAY IN:
1894Napoleon Pinder, a native of Nassau, was the largest man in Key West. He was 6 feet, 7 inches tall and weighed 228 pounds at the age of 21.
1917 Polk's Key West Directory of 1917-18 listed 19 barber shops in the city.
1947 President Harry Truman signed the authorization permitting the Cuban airline Aerovias Q to operate daily flights between Key West and Havana.
1950 Capt. Francis L. Busey turned over command of the U.S. Naval Air Station, Key West, to Capt. Robert S. Quackenbush in a formal ceremony at Boca Chica Field.
1961 The Navy announced it had named one of its new streets in Sigsbee Park housing for Stephen R. Mallory. Mallory, who was from Key West, served as U.S. senator from Florida in the 1850s and was secretary of the Navy of the Confederate States during the Civil War.
1971 According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 7.1 million pounds of fresh produce had been shipped through the port of Key West in January. Most of the produce was cucumbers shipped from Central America.
1976 The Navy water pipeline system was transferred to the Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority by Marjorie Lynch, U.S. undersecretary of Health Education and Welfare.
1994 TIB Bank of the Keys was celebrating 20 years of banking since it was established in 1974 as the Islamorada Bank. The bank donated $1,000 to the Key West Habitat for Humanity to mark the anniversary.