ON THIS DAY IN:
1935 Joseph "Sloppy Joe" Russell purchased the building that formerly housed the Victoria Restaurant on the corner of Duval and Greene streets and moved his Sloppy Joe's Bar from its former location, at 428 Greene St., to the building.
1939 The Western Union, the last large schooner built in Key West, was launched. Norberg Thompson built the ship for lease to the Western Union Telegraph Co.
1949 Fausto's Food Palace, the new ultra-modern store, opened at 522 Fleming St. The store was owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Weekley. Mrs. Ana Weekley was the daughter of the late Fausto Castillo, who founded the original store.
1957 Ground was broken for the new building of the First Baptist Church on Eaton Street, at the corner of Bahama Street. The church was destroyed by fire one year before.
1978 Former President Richard Nixon and his wife, Pat, were staying at the Ocean Reef Resort on North Key Largo.
1983 Monroe County Commissioner Wilhelmina Harvey conducted the groundbreaking for the TV Translator System at the tower site on West Summerland Key.
1987 Monroe County commissioners attended a cornerstone-laying ceremony for the J. Lancelot Lester Justice Building on the corner of Whitehead and Southard streets.