The Studios of Key West announces the 2013 winners of the Robert Frost Poetry Contest for Children and Teens. Over 125 entries were submitted from children in the Florida Keys and all over the country.
Merit awards, certificates, and prizes will be awarded, and participants with winning entries was publicly recognized at a special ceremony on Saturday, at The Studios of Key West.
Through funds established by the Jeane and Jessie Porter Fund at the Community Foundation of the Florida Keys, TSKW is proud to administer a special component of this contest. Jeane Porter was especially committed to encouraging young writers, and supported the Poetry in Schools contest in Monroe County.
The Frost Poetry Contest for Children and Teens continues to nurture and develop the interest of young poets by hosting two juried contests for children ages 6-12 and teens ages 13-18. Poetry can be any length, based on any subject, and be rhymed or unrhymed.
This year's contest judges included Janelle Barrera, who taught in the Key West Public Schools and now tutors students.
She has published poetry in magazines/journals but her interest now lies in seeing that children are given an opportunity to discover the creative genius within, whether it be through writing or some other genre.
The other judge, Donna Weinstock was a first-grade teacher for 27 years in Chicago, California, and Gainesville, and Key West.
Contest for Teens
• Top Local's Prize- RJ Leto, 13 - $50 Cash Prize
• First Place - Sabrina Walsh, 15 - $50 Cash Prize
• Second Place - Abigail Lupi, 13 - $35 Cash Prize
• Third Place - Riley Falconer, 14 - $25 Cash Prize
• Honorable Mention - Anika Yasmin, 17
• 2 Honorable Mentions - Jonathan Kuhn, 16
Contest for Kids
• Top Local's Prize - Jade Williamson, 12 - $50 Cash Prize
• First Place - Isabelle Pipa, 11 - $50 Cash Prize
• Second Place - Virginia Babcock - $35 Cash Prize
• Third Place - Jelena Anaztazia Sanchez - $25 Cash Prize
• Honorable Mention - Brianna Clement, 11
• Honorable Mention - Chase Floyd, 10
• Honorable Mention - Scott Dennis, 12