PLANTATION KEY -- A Miami man found guilty by a Plantation Key jury late last month of attempting to solicit sex online from a minor has been sentenced to 32 months in prison.
Alberto Hernandez, 47, was convicted of the third-degree felony on June 27. Monroe County Judge Reagan Ptomey entered the sentence last Wednesday.
"The state is very satisfied with the sentence," Assistant State Attorney Jonathan Raiche said. "He is going to serve two years of sex offender probation following his incarceration, during which time he will undergo therapies that will hopefully allow him to tackle any demons he may be wrestling."
According to Raiche, Hernandez, whose profession is listed on his arrest report as "printer," had three chat sessions in March 2012 with a person who claimed to be a 14-year-old girl.
During the sessions, he encouraged the person to masturbate and he offered to perform oral sex on the person.
The other party was actually an adult decoy working for the South Florida Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, however, and not a young girl.
The law allows for individuals such as Hernandez to be charged for intent, even when they are not actually communicating with a minor, Raiche said.
Though Hernandez lived in Miami, he was charged in Monroe County because the task force was operating out of a Key Largo location.
He could have been sentenced to up to five years in prison for the offense.