If the state Department of Transportation delivers on its promise come July 21 -- to finish the $42 million rebuilding of North Roosevelt Boulevard -- Key West residents can breathe easy for almost two months before the first of four state projects start on U.S. 1.
Starting in September, FDOT will break ground in Key West on the first two projects and wrap up all four by spring 2016.
While residents have grumbled over the ongoing boulevard reconstruction, which includes replacing a crumbling drainage system along with the seawall, some city leaders say the road work is a sign of progress.
"The state of Florida has noticed the infrastructure in the Lower Keys is in desperate need of repair," said City Commissioner Mark Rossi, a business owner who lives off of North Roosevelt Boulevard smack in the middle of the ongoing reconstruction. "We're lucky we're getting it done. For years, we didn't receive the benefits of FDOT money."
From 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, FDOT staff will host a public meeting in Key West to present the construction plans and take questions from locals.
The meeting is set for the Harvey Government Center, 1200 Truman Ave., and the state said attendees may drop by at anytime during the two-hour time slot.
Two projects are scheduled to begin in September, FDOT announced last week: Construction between Mile Marker 3.9 in Key West and Mile Marker 9.7 in Big Coppitt Key and a project on the twin Boca Chica Channel bridges at Mile Marker.
Both road projects will take about eight months.
In November 2015, FDOT says it will send in work crews for an improvement projects between Whitehead Street and Eisenhower Drive for a four-month long job.
All four projects will cost $10.5 million.