50 YEARS AGO
• In the struggle to stop the $12 million bond proposed by City Electric System, a local group called for an audit by the governor of Florida.
• Police attention was called to the dangerous practice of children running behind the mosquito fogging truck through the hazardous fumes.
• Three Monroe County commissioners were in Washington, D.C., lobbying for the proposed highway from Big Pine Key across Florida Bay to Florida's West Coast.
• The Teenage Charm School Course, sponsored by the Junior Woman's Club and The Key West Citizen, was held on Saturday morning at Key West High School.
• Capt. John P. Kane relieved Capt. Thomas M. Lemon as Commander Destroyer Division 601 in ceremonies at the Naval Station Annex.