[ x ] close

Today In Keys History

Today in Keys History: July 17

1945: Mayor Willard M. Albury tendered his resignation as mayor to the City Council, which elected John Carbonnel Jr. to fill the unexpired term that ended in November. 1953: Because of pressure from the U.S. Navy, the City of Key West had outlawed B-girls who prey on young sailors. The[…]

Today in Keys History: July 16

1880: The American Shoals Lighthouse was first lighted. 1893: Judge Angel De Lono died at 69 at his home on Caroline Street. He was born in Santigo de Cuba and came to Key West in 1878. He had served as justice of the peace and county judge. 1935: The Pulaski[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 15

1887: The Marine Hospital reported a yellow fever epidemic in Key West had caused 110 cases with 30 deaths. By the time the fever ended in September there had been 282 cases with 63 deaths. 1898: Pvt. Benjamin Tyler, Troop C, 10th Cavalry, died of TB in the Army Hospital[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 14

1888: Benjamin B. Baker, master wrecker and pioneer pineapple planter on the Keys, died at home on Key Largo. 1900: Key West had three newspapers. The Key West Inter-Ocean, T.J. Appleyard editor in chief, published daily except Sunday; Key West Advertiser, Q. Charles Ball editor, published every Saturday and Redemption,[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 13

1917: Ground was broken for the first Naval Air Station on Trumbo Point on land rented from the Florida East Coast Railroad. 1942: The merchant vessel Andrew Jackson was sunk 72 miles east of Havana by the German submarine U-84. 1970: Jimmy Crowe, former publisher of The Dalton Citizen-News in[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 12

1945: A plaque of polished brass was presented to William Curry Sons by the Florida State Chamber of Commerce recognizing the company for more than 100 years of business. 1966: Ground was broken on Stock Island to begin construction on the largest seawater conversion plant. The plant designed by Westinghouse[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 11

1900: The Key West Public Library at the Masonic Temple at 315 Simonton St. had 1,600 volumes under Librarian Sallie E. Roberts. The library was run by the Ladies Improvement Association. The officers of the Association were Mrs. C.F. Kemp, president; Miss Carrie Messina, vice president; Mrs. Lydia E. Moss,[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 10

1821: The American Flag was raised for the first time at St. Augustine and the Spanish flag lowered as the Spanish rule ended in Florida. 1924: The La Concha was the name chosen for the hotel on Duval Street. Louis T. Bragass submitted the contest winning name and was given[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 9

1898: Pvt. Robert Hunter, Company H 25th Infantry, died of typhoid in the Army Hospital at the Convent. 1933: Ernest Hemingway, fishing with Capt. Joe Russell of Key West, caught a marlin that was 12 feet, 8 inches and weight 468 pounds. They were fishing in Cuban waters. 1942: The[…]

Today in Keys History: JULY 8

1908: Monroe County Deputy sheriff and Audubon Society Game Warden Guy M. Bradley was shot and killed by outlaw feather hunters in what is now the Everglades National Park. 1926: The old street car tracks were removed. The old trolleys were burned and the tracks sold for scrap. 1942: The[…]