December 10, 2018

The deadline to register for a grant program designed to cover out-of-pocket expenses for people trying to rebuild their homes after Hurricane Irma expires this month.

The deadline to apply with the state Department of Economic Opportunity’s Rebuild Florida is Sunday, Dec. 23.

So far, 913 Florida Keys households have applied for the program, according to county spokeswoman Cammy Clark.

Of those who have applied, 316 have met the priority applicant threshold based on income and have been issued applications to move forward in the process, Clark said.

In this first phase, $50 million is earmarked for Monroe County homeowners to rebuild, repair and elevate their homes due to severe damage or destruction caused by Hurricane Irma.

The program is for homeowners who meet low- and moderate-income levels or for homeowners who rent to people who meet affordable/workforce income levels. The most vulnerable populations will be prioritized. This chart shows the maximum income allowed to be eligible, based on the number of people in the household.

Last month, the DEO directed an additional $157 million to Rebuild Florida, totaling disaster recovery funding to $773 million for the program.

Rebuild Florida is a partnership between DEO and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

“Families all across our state are still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Irma,” DEO Executive Director Cissy Proctor said.

“We want to encourage anyone who was impacted by Hurricane Irma to contact the Rebuild Florida team.”

For information or to register people, call 844-833-1010 or visit http://www.rebuildflorida.gov.

People can also go to the Rebuild Florida center, 2796 Overseas Highway in Marathon.

The center is open Monday through Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

tohara@keysnews.com